Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'll start with Lent, but who knows where I will end up!

Today is the first day of Lent for Catholics. Most years I give up chocolate or all treats, but not this year. The year I really need to give that stuff up because my weight is out of control!!!!! But no, I'm not giving it up. Why? Because my in-laws are coming next month and my mother-in-law and I share a birthday and she wants us to have a cake for our birthdays. Think about it, in-laws here 24/7 for a week. I'm gonna need sweets! Plus, we are going to New Orleans and after seeing The Princess and The Frog, I just have to try some beignets! beignet (pronounced [bɛ.ɲɛ], which is the French word for fried dough), in American English, refers to a pastry made from deep-fried dough and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, is a kind of French doughnut.




Oh yeah, just look at that thing!!!! Get in my belly!

So, in an attempt to shed many, many pounds I am going to start the South Beach diet on Sunday. My friend Regina and her husband are doing it and invited me to share in their grumpiness. I am also doing the couch to 5K program that my friend Amber is doing and invited friends to join in. (Do you think maybe my friends had an intervention without me and decided that every few weeks they would think up a new weight loss idea to expose me to?) Anywho, I am in week 6 of 9 weeks. Here is the link if you are interested...http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml It is a good way to ease into jogging. You jog and then walk and then jog some more. Until the end of week 5. Then you run for 20 minutes straight! As I was running for 20 minutes straight I thought, yeah, maybe I won't keep doing this. Not really into just straight running. I'm bored. Want to walk. Just want to be skinny without doing a thing. Blah, blah, blah. Then Dan gives me an Ipod Nano for Valentine's Day WITH an armband so I can use it while I am running. So I guess I will continue with the running.

In case you are wondering what I am doing for Lent: I am going to go to church every Sunday and read the Bible everyday. I found this program that gives you 100 important passages to read in the Bible over 100 days. It is called the E100 Challenge...http://www.ministryplanet.net/sites/e100/The_Program
These are two things that I feel I should do more often, so Lent is the only time I will make myself do it without giving in to laziness or excuses.

All kinds of changes going on!

Like the title says, I'll start with Lent, but who knows where I will end up...maybe 10 pounds lighter hauling ass through the streets of a 5K race before mass. ;)

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Good luck in your endevors. It was great seeing you last week.
Michelle

Amber said...

Sounds like a plan. I'm going to check out the Bible passage website. I thought about doing something to better myself instead of giving something up for Lent. Maybe I'll be hauling my butt behind you in the 5k reciting scripture to stay motivated. Thanks for the info.