Sunday, February 28, 2010

Thank You Arthur Agatston!

The South Beach diet (created by Arthur A) is working for me! In one week's time I lost 8 pounds! Woo Hoo! I have stuck to the food lists...but since I am not a big veggie person I am hungry a lot. I go to bed starving and wake up starving. One more week to go until I can reintroduce fruits and whole grains into my diet.

I have been having a hard time with the running lately. For the past two weeks Cole has been sick, I had a hair appointment, then I was sick... I still haven't completed week 6. I just need to run for 25 mins. straight and then it's complete. Yeah, that's not happening! I have been to the gym a few times recently and did my own thing. Yesterday I walked 5 minutes, ran 10, walked 5 ran 10 walked 5. I was happy with that. I do better with the breaks...then I can jog more energized and with a better attitude instead of laboring just to get the minutes done. PLUS, the new book South Beach Diet Super Charged says to not just keep one pace throughout workouts. It suggests to walk at a moderate pace for a 2 minute warmup, 15 seconds of walking supercharged, walking 60 seconds at a moderate pace, repeat 8 times then 2 minute moderate pace for cool down. (this is a sample of week one workout) I don't want to just walk. I don't mind running for short periods of time. I want to burn more calories and get my heart rate up. So, I think I will pitch the Couch to 5K and just do what feels good that day. I will still get to the gym as much. My goal was never to run a 5K or be able to run for 30 minutes straight. I just want to lose weight and it seems like whenever someone loses enough weight for people to notice it is because they started running.

Thank yous go out to Regina and Amber too... they got me interested in doing these healthy acts.

I know that next week I won't lose as many pounds, but I am still pushing forward. I want to be able to wear cute sundresses this summer!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Congratulations on your 8lbs!

Keep up the workouts - do everything...run, bike, walk up hill, walk fast, bike fast, do the crosstrainer. If you get bored or discouraged, give me a call and we'll think of some other things to do that will melt the lbs away.

Great job.

Chelle said...

Congratulations on the weight loss!! My schedule has been crazy too so I've only been to the gym once since Thanksgiving. When I work out, I like to alternate between the elliptical, bike, treadmill. Keep up the good work! You'll be there before you know it.
Michelle Jinnette